Named after the traditional Thai ‘wai’ greeting, this luscious yellow curry-style soup emanates authentic Thai flavor. The curry spices and velvety coconut texture marry perfectly, and we added just a tiny kick of sweet-heat to make it, well, just right.
Ingredients: Jasmine rice, sweet potato, red bell pepper, curry powder (coriander, fennel, cumin, turmeric, fenugreek, red pepper, black pepper), garlic, spinach,onion, ginger root
What you need:
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 4 cups chicken broth (32 oz.)
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (12 oz.) or 2-3 chicken breasts (12 oz.)
- 2 cans (14 oz.) unsweetened coconut milk (27-28 oz. total)
- (optional garnish: squeeze of lime)
- In a 4-quart pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and sauté 4-5 minutes per site. Remove chicken to a cutting board and cool
- Stir in soup mix and broth, deglaze pot (scrape bits from bottom), and bring to boil
- Dice or shred cooled chicken, add to pot, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk, cover, and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes and serve
Optional: Serve with a squeeze of lime Soup will continue to thicken as it rests, add more broth or water to thin as desired. If using pre-cooked/roasted chicken simply sauté contents of soup mix quickly in oil then add broth to begin recipe.