Pennsylvania Woodlands Mushroom Barley Soup uses a shiitake mushroom, barley, and vegetable blend to make the base for a classic soup. Add a handful of fresh mushrooms and sherry, if desired.
A quick, rustic meal ready to enjoy in only 30 minutes.
Ingredients: Barley, Shiitake Mushroom, Onion, Carrot, Bell Pepper, Parsley, Nutmeg, Mustard and Thyme
What you need:
- ½ to 1 lb. sliced, fresh mushrooms (any variety)
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth (48 oz.)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional: ½ lb. ground beef (chuck or round)
- In a 3 or 4-qt pot, melt butter and gently sauté mushrooms (and ground beef, if using) over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in contents of Pennsylvania Woodlands Mushroom Barley Soup Mix.
- Add broth, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add pepper to taste and serve!