Nebraska Barnraising Split Pea Soup features seasoning and a carrot vegetable mixture that complement the finest green split peas. Bacon or ham are popular additions to this classic thick split pea soup. Add a dash of sherry, if desired! Serves 7.
Certified Gluten Free
Ingredients: Split Pea, Carrot, Onion, Celery, Leek, Parsley, Thyme, Basil, Bay leaf
What you need:
- 8 oz. sliced bacon (or meaty ham bone)
- 6 cups chicken broth (48 oz.) (if prepared ahead, 1-2 cups additional broth needed since soup will thicken)
- ¼ cup sherry, optional
- Pick through the split peas. Remove discolored, shriveled split peas and any foreign material. Rinse well.
- Cut bacon into ½ inch pieces and sauté for 10 minutes in a 4 quart pot until nearly crisp (or place meaty ham bone in 4 quart pot).
- Stir in contents of soup mix vegetable packet, split peas and broth to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered 2.5 hours; stir occasionally.
- Just before serving add sherry, if desired. Salt and pepper to taste.
Out of Stock