Minnesota Heartland 11 Bean Soup is a colorful mix of beans, peas, and lentils – and our #1 selling bean soup. Combined with kielbasa sausage and chicken, this long-simmering soup is worth the wait.
Certified Gluten Free
Ingredients: Bean (Lima, Pinto, Pink, Great Northern, Black, Light Red Kidney), Pea (Yellow Split, Blackeye, Green Split), Lentil (Red, Green), Thyme, Bay leaf and Parsley
What you need:
- 1 Smoked Ham Hock (or smoked turkey leg)
- 12 Cups Water
- 1 Can Italian Plum Tomatoes, cut-up (29 oz.)
- 4 Stalks Celery, sliced (2 cups)
- 2 Large Onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 Green Pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 tsp. Garlic, minced
- 2 Cups Chicken Breast Pieces, raw or cooked (8-10 oz.)
- 1 Package Smoked Kielbasa Sausage (14-16 oz.)
Preparing the beans:
Preparing the soup:
- Pick through the beans. Remove discolored, shriveled beans and any foreign material. Rinse well.
- Place the beans into a 6-8 quart pot with ham hock and 12 cups cold water.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
- Add contents of soup mix seasoning packet, tomatoes, celery, onion, green pepper, garlic and salt. Bring soup back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered 1 hour.
- Cut up chicken and add to soup pot.
- Slice kielbasa sausage lengthwise into quarters. Slice crosswise to make little wedges. Add sausage to soup pot.
- Return pot to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove ham hock from pot. Dice meat and return meat to soup pot before serving.