Michigan Ski Country Chili combines japones peppers with classic chili seasonings to heat up this authentic red bean chili mix. Add ground beef and bacon for this family favorite.
Certified Gluten Free Serves: 20
Ingredients: Red Kidney Bean, Pink Bean, Cranberry Bean, Bell Pepper, Onion, Paprika, Coriander, Cumin, Celery, Japonés Chile Pepper, Oregano, Bay leaf and Cayanne.
What you need:
- 1 Tbsp. Oil
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
(½ cup or 1/2 lb. thinly sliced pork)
- 1 ½ lbs. Ground Chuck
- 2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes (14.5 oz.)
- 2 cups Beef Broth (14 oz. can)
- 1 Cup Red Wine
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Note: We recommend soaking the beans overnight for best cooking results. Undercooked dark red kidney beans can cause serious digestive problems.
Preparing the beans:
- Pick through the beans. Remove discolored, shriveled beans and any foreign material. Rinse well.
- Place the beans in a bowl with 8 cups water and soak for 4 hours at room temperature or overnight. For a quick soak boil for 10 minutes and let stand for 2 hours.
- Drain beans and place in a 4 quart pot with 8 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain and set aside until ready to use.
Preparing the soup:
- In a 4-quart pot, heat oil over medium heat. Cut bacon into smaller pieces and sauté in oil.
- Add ground beef into pot and continue to brown.
- Stir in contents of chili pix packet and brown sugar. For milder chili, remove one or both chile peppers.
- Add drained, cooked beans, tomatoes, broth and wine to pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Remove chile peppers. Salt and pepper to taste.