Dakota Territory Beef Barley Stew is an classic meal with Shiitake mushrooms, leeks, and lentils. Add beef stew meat and potatoes to prepare this rustic, hearty meal.
No added salt or artificial anything. Serves: 15
Ingredients: Lima Bean, Green Lentil, Barley, Carrot, Leek, Shiitake, Mushroom, Paprika, Bay leaf, Parsley, and Thyme Nutrition: No added salt or artificial anything.
Allergen Information: May contain wheat.
What you need:
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Large Onion, Sliced
- 2-3 lbs. Beef Stew Meat, cubed
- 8 Cups Beef Broth
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2-3 Turnips, or Potatoes (2-3 Cups), Peeled and Diced
- 8 oz. Fresh Mushrooms, Sliced
- ¼ Cup Sherry or Red Wine
- In a 6 or 8-quart pot melt 1 Tablespoon of butter.
- Brown stew meat in 2-3 batches over medium-high heat, not crowding the meat, and turning each piece once. Remove meat to plate when browned.
- Add remaining butter. Lower heat and brown onion 5 minutes.
- Add meat back into pot. Stir in broth, water and contents of Dakota Territory Beef Barley Stew Mix. Bring to a simmer and cook covered 2 hours.
- Add turnips or potatoes, mushrooms, sherry or red wine, and salt and pepper.
- Return to a simmer and cook covered 1 hour.